Pages

Do You Allow Cursing On Your Forum?

*&^%@#$*@%^

Sometimes cursing  is just used in a fun way to tell a story. Other times it's used to insult others. 



Many forums don't allow it and I can understand why. If you are a forum owner, you don't really get to choose what age group joins your forum, regardless of warnings and whatnot, so it's better to have everything age appropriate.

I can really understand why a forum created for everyone wouldn't allow cursing or inappropriate words. It's not always a professional look and could drive people away potentially.

Another reason why a lot of forums don't allow cursing is because of arguing uses. Someone who isn't mature enough to control themselves could be using those words in an attempt to hurt others.

In my opinion, I don't really care if cursing is allowed or not. I can be a productive poster without cursing. If it is allowed I may use one every now and then for the laughs, lol. As a forumer whenever I'm browsing a forum and I see very explicit content and many misuses of words, I typically don't join. Who really wants to join a forum that is full of sailors? I hate to be a member of a forum that allows members to say whatever they want. People love taking advantage of things.

One idea for someone who wants to allow cursing on their forum but doesn't want members to use them against each other is to put that very concept in the rules.

Example:
  • Mild cursing is allowed on this forum but any words used to hurt or insult others will result in a ban. Don't use any words to represent or discuss anything illegal or sexual.


Do you allow cursing on your forum? Answer in a comment below.
Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I currently don't own a forum, but on each forum I've owned I allowed swearing to take place. I personally swear a lot in "real life" so it would be hypocritical to restrict swearing on a forum I own. Even though swearing was allowed, not many people swore and if they did, they didn't use it to offend other members of the board.

    I believe that most forums which have rules against swearing have them simply for convenience sake - there's one less thing to worry about in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time, there is a n-swearing rule simply to try and be child friendly. This annoys me to no extent. I've always allowed cursing on my forum. If someone doesn't like it, it's as simple as "leave the forum". As long as the swearing isn't meant as an insult, or there's twenty swears in one post, I'm fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really agree with that. There's probably some children on a forum but I don't think that should mean everyone has to act like a child. I'm sure many older people would have more of a contribution anyway.
      If you are on a forum, no matter the age, you should be mature enough to handle it. I can agree with that.

      Delete